Hi! I’m Raj Sinai Kunkolienkar, a graduate from the integrated M.Sc. in Physics with honors program at the Birla Institute of Technology & Science – Pilani, Goa Campus. I joined the program in August 2012. I was a visiting student at CFP, University of Porto. I pursued my thesis work at Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad. Currently, I am taking time off from formal education to indulge in thinking about the process of learning itself.
Welcome to my academic site & blog.
I was born in 1994 and brought up in Goa, India. One purpose of this site is to maintain a log of my interests and worldline in the field of Theoretical Physics. My current academic focus is on the intersection of cosmology, high energy physics, and quantum information. I like to explore these using techniques in holography and entanglement.
Here’s a brief on my academic work: CV.
Besides physics, I dabble in amateur astronomy, photography, history, and heritage of Goa, philosophy, psychology, listening and dancing to music from the ’20s to the ’70s. I shall blog about curiosities and connections that I observe in the world around me, largely pertaining to these topics. Since I am keen on the popularization of science, I would also try my best to decipher the process of science to interested audiences.
- Towards a dS/MERA correspondence –Raj Kunkolienkar & Kinjal Banerjee – Int. J. Mod. Phys. D // arXiv:1611.08581
Chronology // Theoretical Physics
- In my first year, I was interested in Variable Stars. It led me to read up a lot on the mechanisms and formation of R Corona Borealis variables. This, in turn, led to an interest in White Dwarf mergers and formation of SN1a. This was supplemented by a course in Astronomy & Astrophysics under Prof. T K Jha.
- In the summer after my first year, I started learning Special & General Theory of Relativity under the guidance of my seniors. It was triggered by a need to understand what happens to the conservation of energy in the context of General Relativity.
- After my third semester, I conducted a reading of Classical Field Theory.
- In the summer of 2014, I worked under the guidance of Prof. Patrick Dasgupta at the Department of Physics & Astrophysics at the University of Delhi on the Aharonov-Bohm effect in Einstein-Cartan spacetime.
- I am interested in Thanu Padmanabhan’s perspective on the emergent nature of classical gravity. I explored the same under Prof. Kinjal Banerjee. We tried to relate the idea of the Bousso Covariant Entropy Bound to Paddy’s conjectures.
- At the same time, I was interested in the Black Hole Information Paradox & the Firewall Paradox. I completed a reading course on Black Holes in my fifth semester, with a focus on their classical and quantum mechanical properties.
- In my sixth semester, I finished my coursework requirement. I took courses like GR, QFT, QIC and Particle Physics to fill my elective requirements.
- As a part of the General Relativity course, I carried out a study of cosmological inflation, the focus being the motivation behind introducing inflation.
- I also worked with Prof. Kinjal Banerjee on the application of the ideas of dynamical systems to cosmology.
- For my thesis work at HRI, I worked on inflation under Prof. Anshuman Maharana. My thesis was titled ‘Inflation: EFT & Conformal Symmetries‘. I’m trying to develop a link between the two ideas.
- I worked under Prof. Joao Penedones & Prof. Miguel Costa Sousa at CFP, the University of Porto on topics related to Conformal Field Theories & Mellin amplitudes during Spring ’16.
- During my time at CFP, I undertook a course on the AdS/CFT correspondence under Prof. Joao Penedones.
- I studied the entanglement from gravity paradigm and developed a dS/MERA correspondence. The work is speculative yet instructive in nature.
Physics & Mathematics courses undertaken:
- Mechanics, Oscillations & Waves
- Mathematics I (Multivariable Calculus)
- Mathematics II (Linear Algebra and Complex Analysis)
- Mathematics III (Differential Equations)
- Probability & Statistics
- Classical Mechanics
- Electromagnetic Theory I
- Quantum Mechanics I
- Electromagnetic Theory II
- Mathematical Methods for Physics
- Theory of Relativity
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- General Relativity & Cosmology
- Statistical Mechanics
- Computational Physics
- Quantum Mechanics II
- Group Theory for Physics
- Quantum & Classic aspects of Black Holes
- Atomic & Molecular Physics
- Nuclear Physics
- Solid State Physics
- Advanced Physics Laboratory
- Introduction to Quantum Field Theory
- Particle Physics
- Quantum Information & Computation
- Attended GR under Ashoke Sen at HRI.
- Attended a course on Black Holes under Miguel Costa at CFP, U Porto.
- Attended a course on AdS/CFT under Joao Penedones at CFP, U Porto.